About Me

My photo
Check out my other blogs: Sow What Journey http://sarahsowwhat.tumblr.com www.100actsofgreen.org As a homeschooling Girl Scout I am often doing my Journey's as part of my school work. Which means that I have to plan and implement them myself. I have been asked to share this with others. My first blog was with the Senior Sow What Journey. Since I plan to earn 5 other Journeys -- this will be the site for all information.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Session 7 - Sisterhood Knows No Boundaries

Advocacy - some folks are paid to be an advocate, others just do it because it is the right thing to do.  Last month - the movie "The Lorax" was released.  I went with my sister on opening day.  As I reflect and think about this part of the Journey - I realize that The Lorax was an advocate - he would have been a GREAT Girl Scout.  My mom serves on the city of Pfllugerville Tree Board and in definately an advocate for youth involvement in the community.

It has been a year and a half since Pflugerville dissolved the Arborist position. And since then there has not been good maintenance of the trees of Pflugerville. There are many I see that need to be remulched, or unstaked, or de-gatorbagged. No one in Pflugerville is willing to step up and speak for the trees.

But I will. I decided to become Pflugerville’s Lorax. And to do so, I have applied for the Pflugerville Parks and Rec commission, so that I can speak for the trees where it counts - with those who make the decisions. I want everyone to know that having an Arborist is very important and that dissolving the position completely was a very bad idea. The trees need a speaker, and I will be able to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment