About Me

My photo
Check out my other blogs: Sow What Journey http://sarahsowwhat.tumblr.com www.100actsofgreen.org As a homeschooling Girl Scout I am often doing my Journey's as part of my school work. Which means that I have to plan and implement them myself. I have been asked to share this with others. My first blog was with the Senior Sow What Journey. Since I plan to earn 5 other Journeys -- this will be the site for all information.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

Golden Eaglet - Bird Finder

My love of birds first began when my grandfather came to Texas with a bird feeder and binoculars. He organized a week long “birding camp” and that was where I learned how to identify birds and count them as they come to the feeder.

Now because of this badge and all the classes I’ve had over the years, I can identify 25 plus different types of birds. Some I can even tell just by the silhouette as they are flying and also their flight pattern.

For example, the Turkey Vulture’s wings have a slight up turn to them and the always extend their wings at an 85 degree angle instead of all the way. The purple martin has a zig zag pattern of flying and the red tailed hawk flicks its tail as it flies.

I’ve had fun with this badge and I will use it to teach other girls on hikes as I progress in the Scouting Career! 

No comments:

Post a Comment